A coalition of trade unions and environmental organisations has responded to the Scottish Government’s announcement of Professor Jim Skea as Chair of the Scottish Government’s Just Transition Commission. 
Dave Moxham, Deputy General Secretary of the Scottish Trades Union Congress (STUC) and co-chair of the Just Transition Partnership, said:
“We look forward to working with Jim Skea in his role as Chair of this important group.
“Scotland’s trade unions are clear that tackling climate change is a moral, social and economic imperative and Scotland must play its part in reducing emissions. However, meeting targets must ensure a just transition for the workforce and communities which currently extract or depend on the use of fossil fuels.
“The Chair will have an important role in developing a Commission which must involve workers and trade unions in the development of a proper industrial strategy, reducing emissions while creating new, good quality jobs and benefiting communities across Scotland.”
Mary Church, Head of Campaigns at Friends of the Earth Scotland and co-chair of the Just Transition Partnership said:
“We welcome the appointment of Jim Skea to the Sottish Government’s new Just Transition Commission. Professor Skea brings important knowledge to the role in terms of climate science and energy systems, which will be key to bringing a sense of urgency to the work of the Commission.
“We are disappointed however that Ministers appear to have opted for a short life Commission of only two years. Our climate change targets run to 2050 and there is a very real need for an ongoing Commission to have oversight of emissions reduction plans in terms of the impacts on jobs, local economies and communities to ensure that the transition happens fairly. We urge the Scottish Government to put the Just Transition Commission on a statutory footing to ensure it has the status, resources and longevity to do this job properly.”
- Scottish Government announcement (13/9/18) https://news.gov.scot/news/leading-the-way-to-a-low-carbon-future
- The Just Transition Partnership was formed by Friends of the Earth Scotland and the STUC in 2016. Membership includes Unite Scotland, UNISON Scotland, UCU Scotland, CWU Scotland, PCS Scotland and WWF Scotland. Read their partnership statement https://foe.scot/resource/joint-statement-just-transition/
- Learn more about FoES’ work to shift our economy away from dependency on fossil fuels in a way that is fair to workers and communities. https://foe.scot/campaign/just-transition/
- Friends of the Earth Scotland is
* Scotland’s leading environmental campaigning organisation
* An independent Scottish charity with a network of thousands of supporters and active local groups across Scotland
* Part of the largest grassroots environmental network in the world, uniting over 2 million supporters, 75 national member groups, and some 5,000 local activist groups.